Jensen's Finest Foods original market was opened in Blue Jay, near Lake Arrowhead, in 1940 by Einer and Marie Jensen. While Einer served for two years in World War II, Marie ran the market. In 1964 the store moved into a new, 25,000 square foot building and in 1967 Jensen's Old Country Bakery was added. Using traditional Danish recipes, Jensen's bakery continues to be a family tradition.
Gene Fulton began his career at Jensen's in 1957 as a clean up boy at age 17. He worked his way up to the position of general manager, and in 1970 made arrangements with Mr. Jensen whereby he would purchase Jensen's upon Mr. Jensen's retirement on January 1, 1981. Mr. Fulton then began expansion, adding Jensen's Minute Shoppe, an upscale convenience store, in the nearby community of Cedar Glen. In 1983 Jensen's focused more on the upscale clientele with the opening of Jensen's in Palm Desert. The success of the Palm Desert location prompted the addition of a Palm Springs location in 1985. In 1994 another Jensen's Minute Shoppe, this one located in Rancho Mirage, was opened. May 1995 saw the opening of the sixth Jensen's location in the mountain community of Wrightwood, taking over the former Holiday Foods market. In 1998 the seventh Jensen's was added in the mountain community of Running Springs. The 8th Jensen's opened in La Quinta in December, 2001. A ninth store, this one a Jensen's Minute Shoppe, on Cook Street in Palm Desert was completed in the fall of 2003.
Still family owned and operated, Jensen's goal is to provide exceptional customer service while providing the finest selection and quality of foods and beverages in the communities which it serves. The company considers its employees its greatest asset, and strives to treat them like family, which is why a large number of them have been a part of Jensen's team for at least ten years, with some having worked for Jensen's nearly 40 years.Source: Jensen's onnline